Another Good Weekend

I just figured I'd share these two from this weekend. I'm back in the desert after a quick trip up to NY and had to get back at it. Saturday morning I got out before first light and drove out to some BLM land near the house. I got set up on the first stand of the day and it just looked awesome. As the sun came up, the shadows laid just right and the spot had a great 180+ degree view. I fired up the rabbit distres on my TT Extreme call, but there were no takers. Dejected at such a beautiful spot at the magic hour producing nothing, I walked back to the rig. When I got there, I looked north and saw this.

DSC00062-1.jpg

Figuring that spot, too, looked just about perfect, I promised myself a 10 minute stand. I walked over and set up on the shady hillside on the right of the photo and faced north, toward the grassy flat. Less than 5 minutes in with my TT horn tip, I see ears bouncing through the grass. The coyote was inbound at a dead run. I lipsqueaked, woofed, and yelled but it just wouldn't stop. I had been tracking it in the scope and finally just squeezed the trigger. She fell at 22 yards from where I was sitting.

DSC00067-2.jpg

There were no more takers on Saturday, so out I went again Sunday morning. I got out a little later on Sunday and headed to an area further south of where I was at the day before. This area is covered up in oil wells and I spent a lot of time just navigating from well to well. I opened up the morning with a blank stand and wandered around looking for a promising spot. I came to a place where I could hide the rig behind a dirt berm and call on the shady side of the same berm. This was my vantage from the berm.

DSC00068-1.jpg

I got set up and started up with the TT Cyanide Extreme (I love that call; it must be 98% awesome call and 2% good luck charm). Around 10 minutes into the set I see a coyote coming from left to right up a shallow draw. The sun was right and he didn't see me fidgeting into position for a shot that far to my right. I was ready when he checked up at around 125 yards. I held front chest and heard the slap. He just seemed to disappear in the greasewoods. I got turned around on the way out to recover him and it ended up taking almost 15 minutes to lay hands on him. He was a good sized broken-toothed male.

DSC00070-1.jpg

The heat was coming up quick and it felt like time to pack it in after another blank stand. I had a real tough time getting started with predator hunting, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I can't wait for winter when they'll be even easier to get into!

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good story--Yall keep the pics/stories coming--The only way I can see that far, down here is to be in a airplane at about 500 ft--Think there is a law about shooting out of a moving vehicle!!LOL

Good shot on broke tooth male--

David

Thanks, guys for all the kind comments. I'm lucky to live out here where the calling is so good and I'm glad to start moving around to this side of the learning curve. It just took persistence and plenty of encouragement from a lot of you guys. Once again, many thanks!

Back